Thursday, March 02, 2017

March 100 pushup Challenge

As an aging martial artist and fitness buff I am always looking at ways to stay in shape and increase my strength and stamina.  As I wrestle with father time and try to beat him at every move, I find that to continue moving forward I have to challenge myself in a myriad of ways.



A few years ago I took a 90 day challenge and lost over 30 lbs.  This year I am taking a year long fitness challenge and as part of that I am currently doing a 30 day 100 push ups a day challenge.  Now I'm in decent shape for an old guy but let me tell you this is no piece of cake.  The rules are as follows: Five minutes, 100 push ups.  It's that simple.  Break it up however you want 2x50, 4x25, 5x20, 3x33+1, whatever works for you. I have been at it for 4 days, I started a couple of days early and I can feel the difference!  I hope you will consider joining me.  As always with any challenge like this.  Set your own pace but push yourself further than you normally go.  That's how you achieve greatness in anything you do..  Just my humble opinion. As always don't hurt yourself.  If you have serious pain, STOP!  Check with your doctor or chiropractor before you continue...





Oh, by the way.  I am looking into a martial art that a friend led me to via youtube called Aiki Jitsu.  I think this might be the next big challenge for me in regards to my third black belt. If I can find a school in Charlotte that teaches it. I have a lead on a school in Mint Hill.  I am hoping to observe their class soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHGnQbcvfMI

Here's some additional  info I found about it.

Aikijujutsu is any jujutsu discipline that focuses on the Japanese principle of “aiki,” in which a practitioner blends with and defeats an opponent by using one’s internal energy (ki or chi). Various schools of jujutsu and aikijujutsu can trace their lineage back to daito-ryu. Conflicting stories state that either Shinra Saburo Minamoto (1045-1127) or a doctor Yoshimitsu in 1180 lay down the foundation for daito-ryu aikijujutsu (considered the oldest aikijujutsu in Japan) by discovering the mechanics of the joints and muscle attachments while dissecting cadavers. From these discoveries, joint-locking skills, techniques to cause muscle twisting, and strikes to vital points were formalized and perfected during battle.
Takeda Sokaku—whose most notable student was aikido’s founder Morihei Uyeshiba—modified daito-ryu by combining his knowledge of daito-ryu experience with sumo kenjutsu (swordsmanship) and several empty-hand martial arts. In the late 1800s, he named his style daito-ryu aikijujutsu. Takeda Sokaku then honed the art by teaching military officers, police officials and aristocrats.
Similar to bujinkan, aikijujutsu was founded as a “dark,” secretive and highly combative samurai art. Unarmed fighters used aikijujutsu to kill samurai in full armor.

Until next time,



Peace

No comments: