Sunday, December 18, 2005

King Kong 2005 - Review


I have seen allot of movies in my days and I must admit this one is definitely one of the most amazing fantasy adventure films of all time. The computerized visual effects (especially Kong) are simply breathtaking at times in this film. However someone lost their perspective and went a bit overboard with certain scenes, I’ll get to that in a minute.

I personally loved the character of Kong although he was a totally computerized version of the giant gorilla he had great personality and he looked awesome. He was so huge and such a gigantic, even heroic figure I just could not get enough of him. I already want a sequel or prequel in this case and have figured out a storyline that will work perfectly.

Well Done, is all I can say to the folks who created Kong in their minds eyes and transferred that to the screen. Mr. Jackson I suppose gets the credit here and his team of software folks and art directors. Now with all that said here is the downside. There is some rough language which was offensive to me as a Christian however I realize that many people do talk this way so it will be no big deal to most adults but Not for Children.

People, you must learn to leave the young kids at home! There was a baby crying throughout the entire movie and the so called parents would not remove themselves and the baby from this theatre. There was nearly a fight in the place afterwards.

The special effects although marvelous at times were way over used. There are two or three sequences that I would have cut from the film had I been the editor which would have shortened the total time maybe by 30 minutes or so. I could have cut some regular footage as well from the first hour and made this move much closer to two hours instead of three. There is a sequence that ran for nearly 10 minutes it seemed where the crew is running from a stampede of dinosaurs that is just plain stupid and looks so horribly unrealistic that I was shocked that it was left in the movie. I can only think that Mr. Jackson lost his perspective while making this film and no one had the guts to sit him down and tell him how bad this looked. It really does take away from a movie that could otherwise be called a masterpiece. There are other scenes that are nearly just a bad and unrealistic but I will let you judge them for yourself.

The acting was good enough for any special effects driven film. Jack Black was really convincing as a shrewd film director with no-morals, basically a con man willing to do whatever it takes to get his picture. Naomi Watts was really great as Ann Darrow the woman who Kong falls in love with and her with him as well. I also thought the natives of skull Island were very well done. They were very evil and scary looking.

The rest of the cast including the writer Jack Driscoll played by Adrian Brody was well played considering the unusual circumstances they had to deal with. Amazingly enough, I have to say it was the directing and perhaps the writing that needs improvement here. Although Jackson shows brilliance as he did with the Rings trilogy, he dropped the ball and lost his perspective along the way. He tried to make us laugh at times in scenes that would have been so frighteneing for a normal person I felt it was just way out there.

Finally, what could have been the greatest special effects movie of all time was a miss-fire in my book. King Kong was a really good movie that could have been much, much better. Don't get me wrong it was worth seeing on the BIG screen as only King Kong should be seen but many will walk away with a feeling of what could have been.

I give it 3 out of 5 banana’s .....

No comments: